basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart

Glass Houses (Morganville Vampires)

Glass Houses  - Rachel Caine I began this series under forceful circumstances. Rachel Caine was having an AU/NZ book tour for the latest in The Morganville Vampires series, Bite Club. Felicity from Penguin sent me nine books from the series therefore I was forced to read them. It felt like Christmas. So this was the perfect one-off opportunity to read this highly acclaimed series and meet its author. After reading this first of a lengthy series, I was most definitely not disappointed. This series alongside The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod has pulled the vampire lever in my brain from ‘hater’ to ‘liker’. With only one word you can guess what made me hate them initially. No relation should be made between that series and Rachel Caine’s books. Ever.What I enjoyed the most was the world building. It was enjoyable and interesting to discover and learn about. It’s not just the dictatorial and territorial vampires that run the town, but also the role humans play in it too. One tip: you do not want to be outside at night. You’re just asking for two holes in your neck, and this doesn’t work wonders for your innocence and beauty. You are only protected, vampire or not, by the authorities if you have pleaded for Protection and in most cases you are refused unless you are special and/or can help in some way.Each of the characters are memorable. None of the quartet, Claire, Eve, Shane & Michael, are vampires so this is a big thumbs up. I couldn’t have enjoyed this novel and now this series any other way. We are able to see the vulnerability that the humans have within this town through four characters that each have their own disturbing pasts and secrets. Each have different personalities so this is why it was so enjoyable to read about. And seeing through the eyes of Claire, we are able to slowly discover and learn about this town as she does.There are a lot of twists and turns throughout the course of this novel to keep me suspended in my seat and my brain in AWOL mode. I can only suspect that there will many more to come in the rest of the series. This is a great start to a lengthy but thrilling series.First paragraph:"On the day Claire became a member of the Glass House, somebody stole her laundry.”Favourite quotes/lines:"'Run first,' Shane said. 'Mourn later.’ It was the perfect motto for Morganville.”"'You're kidding. I thought all geniuses read Latin. Isn't that the international language for smart people?’”