basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
BZRK Reloaded - Michael Grant From the fingers of Michael Grant:"BZRK Reloaded is even better than BZRK. There are scenes in there that made me laugh at the sheer unbridled strangeness and intensity."––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––Review originally posted at Book Probe Reviews.Where art thou BZRK Apocalypse? A year (or who knows how long?) away, that's where!It feels as though every Michael Grant book I read becomes a mistress of mine, with Fear and Light being my two wives, who have no idea I'm madly in love with both of them and cheating on them casually with the others. This is a dangerous life I live, risking it all for intense and satisfying pleasure produced from some middle-aged man's knobbly fingers activated by his intelligently wired brain.BZRK Reloaded has become my latest mistress, Mistress #8 as I've been referring to it as for the past few days. Mistress #8 is more intense, more suspenseful, stranger, BETTER than Mistress #7 (a.k.a. BZRK) – the characters develop even further, such as Sadie having to step into her BZRK identity and role as Plath, hardcore twitcher in progress, as well as her real self, Sadie McClure, daughter to murdered Grey McClure and heiress to McClure Industries, the company behind BZRK, and its fortune; the story plot and arc thickens, both in the macro and in the nano, becoming increasingly intense through whomever's (i.e., person) and whatever's (i.e., biot or nanobot) eyes we experience the story from; and lastly, Mistress #8 gives me absolutely no idea – none whatsoever – of what may happen in BZRK Apocalypse, other than forthcoming destruction, as suggested by the title, on global and minuscule scales... such a selfish bitch, leaving me suspended over a "bloody" waterfall. Heck! That's what Mistresses #1 through to #7 did to me anyway, so I've become accustomed to their crazy and torturous and sociopathic, and almost psychopathic, behaviours – have become used to Michael Grant's usual wickedness.The possibility of a future with biots and nanobots swarming our internal transport systems, leaping from cell to cell, prodding and snipping and attacking, fabricating and erasing, wiring, rewiring, and de-wiring everything that makes us up as human beings – walking, talking, thinking, and sensing human beings – has become ever more real in BZRK Reloaded. Grant's descriptions of and the logic behind the nanotechnology that BZRK and Armstrong Fancy Gifts Corporation uses and weaponises has progressed and developed significantly since the first book, BZRK. Now that I've become accustomed to the world of nanotechnology, specifically at the nano level, I slipped into the role of observer with ease, thinking less and experiencing more – more about the possibilities of nanotechnology in today's society, such as the achievements it will earn and the destruction it will cause, as reflected in Grant's writing, particularly in the conflict between the characters and the warring groups, and even between their individual decisions as dictated and influenced by the technology that they thrive off.It's just not the characters' decisions that are dictated by the biots and nanobots that they control but their entire lives. Sadie (Plath) and Noah (Keats) slowly accept their life of a twitcher, part of a minority who could save the lives of every being on the planet – they slowly accept that they could, eventually, become just like Vincent: mindless and aloof from the loss of their biots. That is until they become more confident at mastering their biots, to use them to do good things, to help people – people like Vincent, people like each other. BZRK may be the good guys in this nanotechnological war, but if it must come to it, their biots are used for torment and the elicitation of pain. Everyone struggles to define what is ethically right. Nijinsky, as temporary BZRK principal twitcher covering for Vincent, fails to represent how a leader should be. One thing for certain is that although Nijinsky knows how to handle and control others, even if they're unaware that he is, he does not know where to draw the line for himself and his own actions. It doesn't help that  he himself does not know who he gets his commands from (re: Lear).Charles and Benjamin Armstrong... well, those twins need to die. Please let there be an apocalypse inside them in book three. Bug Man still has yet to gain my pity, but like in BZRK we are able to sympathise with him, able to understand exactly why he does what he does, not wanting to fail, rather wanting to succeed.Dear Armstrong Twins,It is the action that I refer to; nothing else! Oh, and the wounds from my devil horns.Give a welcome to my first GIF in a review. Now, back to the review...We are introduced to many more new characters like Minako, a Japanese-American girl who becomes victim along with hundreds of other women to the Armstrong twins' "utopia" scheme; Madame President Helen Falkenhym Morales, victim to Bug Man's nanobot and made to murder; and Billy the Kid, victim to terrorism (oh?), to hydras (Oh?), and to his own stupidity (OH?).There's still a lot to be answered, but like my experience with Michael Grant's previous books I'm certain they'll be answered in book three. I am 100% certain that I won't be disappointed. I am 1000% certain that Michael Grant will kill me a 9th time.All I can say is: I GOT LOST IN THE MEAT, YO! GO BZRK! LIVE BZRK! SLEEP BZRK! PARTY BZRK!P.S., Lear, WHO. ARE. YOU?