basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Chasing the Valley - Skye Melki-Wegner I was given an uncorrected proof from my bookshop boss as she thought I might enjoy it since it has been described as being of a Tomorrow When the War Began cross His Dark Materials (young early reviewers have called it a mix of The Hunger Games and Percy Jackson - I do not see this, but realise they're limited in what they have previously read to compare it to).For me, however, I found it to be a bit lacking in appeal and found myself losing interest quite quickly as I didn't feel as involved and connected with the world and the characters that Danika travels with and comes across. I've read over half of it; now that's not a lot but it's enough for me to say that I was bored with those 200 pages and didn't think I'd do any better further into the book.IT WAS NOT BAD. It wasn't. After all, it has gotten so many good words from the young Random House buddy reviewers and has also been raved and talked about at the Random House Australia office. I really thought I would enjoy it since I've enjoyed all those previous works that this book has been described as being like. I also didn't find the world particularly interesting. Magnetic Valley? Foxaries? Proclivities (tattoo-like things that represent what sort of power you have)? Don't know why to be honest.I'm only one opinion. Maybe it's because I've been so focused on uni at the moment that when I do read I'm unfocused and mind wandering. But even then the book should be good enough to keep my interest through that. Though I must say that the first chapter or two were pretty good.