basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Prodigy - Marie Lu This review is coming to you six months too late. Maybe not six months too late, but rather this review was written six months after I read it so details may not be crisp clear. However, having said that, Prodigy was not as memorable as its predecessor Legend. Marie Lu wrote a fantastic sequel, adrenaline-filled and surprises at every turn we make, but it didn’t have that same emotional impact and the momentous occasions that Legend had, occasions that made indelible impressions on me. Maybe it was because I was reading Prodigy at the time I was getting my wisdom teeth out, which was a pretty momentous occasion in itself, stealing my interest away from the book. Maybe. But I’m not going to make reasons for why Prodigy didn’t stand out to me. I will definitely reread Prodigy to see if my thoughts change – most likely before the third book in 2014 – but for now, just know, that Legend was better.In Prodigy, Lu expands the futuristic society of this world, which we only saw one piece to the puzzle of in Legend. Slowly, Lu gives us more pieces to the puzzle, and in the end creates a visually dynamic and dimensional map for the reader to immerse themselves in and experience. We discover how the continent was split into two separate areas: the Republic and the Colonies. We also see more of the Republic and what lies outside the Republic: a greater world that watches the Republic’s every news, every movement, every change. It is through Day’s and June’s adventures that we get the opportunity to visit a place that they never knew existed, a city of towers of glass and metal, much different to anything in the Republic and the Colonies. This new discovery of theirs comes at a cost, and although it exceeds their wildest imaginations, everything is not what it seems behind its mesmerising facade.Surprises lurk throughout Prodigy, many you will not expect, with some pertaining to the characters while others about the world. The attraction between June and Day continues to blossom, but while one has someone else vying for their affection, that someone jealous of what they can’t get, the other questions their own situation, fighting an internal battle about who they fit much better with. Prodigy to me was a relationship-heavy book. For most of the time I’d turn my head away or roll my eyes because of the silliness that is present, but I soon realise that these parts of the story further develop each of the characters, the major and the minor. Day and June may seem invincible externally, but internally they fight their own wars, which ends in heartbreak and disillusionment, leaving you, the invested reader, crying out for the third book.Marie Lu knows her readers, and I’m sure she will continue to use that strength of hers in book three. I’m looking forward to see how Day’s and June’s stories end. I. Need. You. Now. Book. Three! Maybe Prodigy was memorable after all, but like I said, not as memorable and permanent as the legend that was Legend.A big thank you to Sasha from Sash & Em for sending me an extra ARC she had lying around. Much love!