basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
The Replacement - Brenna Yovanoff Brenna Yovanoff’s debut novel The Replacement is eerie, dark and atmospheric, however, I am not entirely sure where I sit on this one. It wasn’t a highly engrossing read for me, but it wasn’t bad either; it’s an average kind of book where you can have a liking for the characters, the plot, the setting, but find yourself not immersed in the story as a whole. The standout of The Replacement is definitely the setting. It’s a setting you just want to experience although you really don’t want to. It is pictured vividly well filled with greyness as if Gentry has a large mist pervading it—a graveyard feel. Mackie Doyle is splendid male protagonist who is vulnerable due to what he is, but he still tries to fit and be normal despite his differences. But although he knows he is different and a ‘replacement’, it doesn’t impact the way it should as the town accepts these abductions and replacements that are happening and what is going on underground, beneath Gentry, so willingly without protest. This was a bit confusing at times but as you read about the history of the changelings (or whatever name you want to give these creatures) you begin to understand why they are—important, you could say? As you can see, I don’t know what to say about this book. I just didn’t feel all that connected with it since Mackie is, well, a replacement, and I of course am not.