basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Mammon - J.B.   Thomas Mammon is one of those books where the cover speaks for what’s inside. The cover gives you a view of what to expect without actually reading it. With its strong colours and great-looking design, I wanted to read this, and because the book involves demons. . .even better! I was pleasantly surprised when I finished Mammon as J.B. Thomas introduced us to another form of demon – and mythology that surrounds them – that most of us have no idea about, and the way it was used was great.Grace and her brother Joe discover they have special abilities. Grace is telepathic while Joe is a Ferryman capable of opening dimensional rifts which has been unseen for a while. When their parents are killed, they are taken to an institution called the Order where they discover that their parents were sarsareh and are trying to lower the amount of demons that walk amongst the public. However, these demons are just individuals who after doing criminal activities such as dealing, murdering, etc., degenerate; their souls and humanistic qualities are suppressed.While I did enjoy Mammon and basically everything about it, I found myself comparing it to many other books: Harry Potter because Mammon, the enemy, reminded me of Voldemort and his evil doings, and the relationship between Grace and Ivan reminded me of that in Vampire Academy 1. But either way, what’s there to not like? But one thing I’d like to point out, is that the romance which shoots out at you at one point, is actually not very large compared to everything else that happens. So I don’t know why it is given its own space within the synopsis. Most likely to attract the female readers, as does the ‘J.B.’ to not deter male readers.The way of which Joe’s cockiness and teenage-boy-hormonal qualities, and also really that of another character, is portrayed in this book, and to me personally, very cliche. Attracted to and falling for girls because of their eye appealing sexual and physical attributes just made me laugh. Not all teenage boys are like that *cough cough*. . .me *cough* and really are all other readers of the male gender. This seems to be a different way of stereotyping the bad-ass boy we have been seeing in YA and towards the end, I did get sick of Joe’s attitude. Although it did drive the plot forwards at times. Another issue was that the third-person narrative seemed to have been caught in its own trap when J.B. Thomas wanted to explain what other characters were doing while still in another’s perspective. This book has different perspectives and when a lot more happens, it is hard to forget whose perspective we’re actually trying to understand. For instance, at one point we’re following Grace and then she leaves the room and we see these other two characters discussing something partially about Grace. It’s hard to explain but I know this was something I had difficulties in comprehending while reading the book. I try not to be too critical on minor things but it’s hard when it’s the only thing you seem to want to be critical about and want to point out.All in all, Mammon is a compelling, original take on a demon lore that none have heard about before, giving us a type of demon and bad guy that could may as well be relatable to many people who have committed crimes and have a lost apart of their innocence who may be trying to discover it back. Mammon teaches us a lot about being human and what it takes to not lose ourselves within a material world. Book sent from Random House Australia for review.