basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
The Iron Knight - Julie Kagawa For The Iron King, I said that any day I’d totally date a girl like Meghan. For The Iron Daughter, I said that I’d be Julie Kagawa’s drudge, just so that she has to bring me along with her when she travels to the Nevernever as the world is breathtaking, the characters loveable, and the plot flawless. For The Iron Queen, I said that it was phenomenal and if I was given a gremlin as a pet *cough* Julie *cough cough*, I would love them for eternity. I thought it was all over. But alas, it wasn’t; Ash now had his chance to deliver. I was loaded *giggle* with anticipation and after reading The Iron Knight, I couldn’t say anything; I simply fell. I was falling for fae (again!) and Julie Kagawa will have you falling for fae [too] in this emotional conclusion to a sensational YA series from an already victorious YA author.As soon as The Iron King was put on NetGalley, I was immediately magnetized and pulled to it. I think I was one of the first few to request it, and as a consequence I saw myself staying up until the wee hours of the following morning, unable to sleep because of my aroused (and I was going to write sexually aroused oddly enough. . .but I’ll leave that for the girls to say) mind and body. The Iron King showed me something unique that the three prior novels hadn’t. Reading via Meghan’s point of view, you see the world as it is. You see Ash and Puck as just fictional boys to swoon over and admire. You see The Iron Realm as the happily ever after ending for Meghan. But you don’t end up really knowing the problems and hardships these boys were/are facing when Meghan decides to rule that realm. Hardships that were physically, emotionally and mentally painful, exhausting and challenging. And through The Iron Knight, Julie Kagawa gives us a rare opportunity into the feelings of Ash and although told entirely through his eyes, Puck’s too to some degree. And what was the unique thing about this experience was that it gave myself the confidence to expose my feelings about things, issues and problems I have bottled up inside me towards others, just as Ash had done by revealing it all to the readers. It was sad to leave Meghan behind however, knowing that she’s happily ruling The Iron Realm allows you to accept the change in character views so that we may see other characters in different lights and on their own life-changing journeys. And we definitely saw a different light to Ash and Puck in The Iron Knight then we had previously read about. Give me time to still get over the fact that this series has ended and that I must wait for Ethan’s story to begin or the first book Immortal Rules of Julie’s new vampire, apocalyptic series The Blood of Eden, but in the meantime I will return to read The Iron Fey series again from start to finish when I find the right time to. The feminine colours of the The Iron Fey covers should not deter anyone of both genders from reading this series as its one series I consistently glance over on my shelves. Thank you Julie Kagawa for this journey and lest we forget!