basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Forgotten - Cat Patrick 3.5 stars.Cat Patrick’s Forgotten had the potential to be a debut novel that could have been independent from the stereotypical Young Adult book. However, it fell into some traps, and would have been better if it hadn’t. But Forgotten still had intriguing twists to keep you reading and the originality of our protagonist’s condition makes it much more enjoyable.Ever since London Lane had a fatal experience when she was younger that nearly cost her her life, her ability to retrieve memories has vanished. To deal with this problem, London makes notes endlessly so that she is bound to remember when she reads them the next day and furiously studies her journal too. The only way to recall what happened within the last 24 hrs. London however, can remember what will happen in the future. She sees glimpses of future devastating events and all she wants to know is how they involve her and why is she having them.An attraction towards the new boy in school, Luke Henry, sets her on a difficult journey where she attempts to hide her condition. But there is something familiar about Luke but London doesn’t know what, and of course would not even remember if there were. And when she thinks about her memories of the future, Luke doesn’t appear to be seen in any of those that she experiences. But once Luke comes into her life, a new nightmarish future memory comes and as terrifying as it is, there is absolutely not much detail within them.What I enjoyed the most about Forgotten was discovering why she has this condition. It was heartbreaking and touching. And her effort to protect her best friend Jamie from the tragedy that is in her friend’s foreseeable future, proves what kind of person she is. Although she knows she has a ‘mental disability’ she still manages to do what she can to help everyone around her, including saving herself.The conversations between London and Luke made me giggle. Cat Patrick’s writing is flawless; her prose increases the reading experience you will have, making this debut even more enjoyable. However, story-wise it wasn’t perfectly achieved. There are too many love-interests now-a-days that begin as a new kid on the block. Why did Luke had to be new, when London doesn’t remember her past? If Luke was a quiet individual at school then no one else e.g. Jamie would notice him. But I do forget that this seems to be set in England and not the US, where schools seem to be big and knowing everyone in your year (or even school) save your group of friends is unheard of. (At school, I knew everyone [every single name and face] in my year level, and also too, many boys from all year levels.) The revelations at the end, concluded much too fast, and I would have loved to have seen something (I’m not going to spoiler!) and be touched by this “family meeting”.All in all, Forgotten had an engaging psychological twist that will keep you flicking the pages to discover with London, the memories of the past. Forgotten teaches us that in order to change our future, we have to look into the past and learn from it.Source: ARC sent from publisher for review.