basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Human.4 - Mike A. Lancaster So here I am tossing up between a three or a four star rating, forgetting that there is such a thing called a half. Now after that little dilemma, I’m giving 0.4 by debut author Mike Lancaster a three and a half stars. It was possibly a three as it just didn’t seem real enough to actually happen. There’s more surreal things I have read and think its reality. But this just didn’t do that for me. And then it was going to be a four as it had a great message within these pages. Once one of the elder characters professed his feelings of why he kept doing what he did although many thought him strange, it really made me tear up. This moment had a palpable impact on me even after the unreality of its surroundings.In 0.4, Mike Lancaster creates a sense of wonder about the nature of the inter-connectivity between humans today and what it might mean for those without access. It was, I admit, a tad difficult to decipher why Mike Lancaster has written this book but by the end it was a definite that there was an evident message, and that there’s a large question stamped onto our future; what will it be like if it lacks certain parts of today’s technological society? I really enjoyed the little notes given every now and then defining some pop-culture references. Some of them just make you laugh. One of my favourites was defining what ‘Teletubbies’ were:“Many theories exist about this word, but none are particularly satisfactory. Or, indeed, convincing. Kepple in his essay ‘A Pantheon of Teletubbies’ seems sure that it is a word of deep religious significance, referring to a collection of gods or goddesses almost exclusively worshipped by children...”It’s a uniquely told and written book making it difficult to not admire Mike Lancaster’s sense of creativeness and wittiness.I do think there was more to be learnt about why specifically this ‘change’ had occurred and if there is a sequel, it would be slightly reluctant to have my fingers rub its spine or its pages flicked, if the continuing concept doesn’t strike me as highly intriguing.Favourite quotes/lines:“I saw them and I do not want to be one of them. I’m happy being who I am.”“I guess that is who and what I appear to be...But that doesn’t mean it’s all I am, or the way it has always been. For now, being a postman is good, honest work. And it makes me happy. Not everyone has to fly high to prove they exist; some of us are perfectly happy flying low and enjoying the view.”