basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Beautiful Malice - Rebecca  James LOVED it.To start off, here are some status' of mine from Goodreads from my journey through Beautiful Malice.~ "I've heard many amazing things about this. I'm excited to get into another Aussie hit."~ "I am blown away already. The writing is fantastic, and real. The story is believable. Once you read the two page prologue you will fall in love with Rebecca's writing. It would feel like this is her twentieth novel and not her debut."~ "This is contemporary brilliance!"~ "Love love love"Beautiful Malice intrigued me from the very beginning. After reading the two-page prologue, it was destined that I would thoroughly enjoy reading this book, and it would be up there with my all-time favourites. The prologue does it all. There's not much else to add to that. It just reeled me in from the start, keeping me on the hook not allowing me to break free. I was engaged with the characters and felt their struggles in this dark, thrilling, gripping and painful world of ours. It was an experience like no other. Rebecca James tackled many dark and threatening issues like any true professional would. And the devastating thought of death was one of them. Rebecca has captured the perfect psychological thriller. The first line is, "I didn't go to Alice's funeral."Rebecca's writing is exquisitely heartfelt with raw emotion, and even after revealing Katherine's dark, mysterious past, the book is impossible to put down. Her already difficult struggle to heal her broken sense of self gets further complicated as someone she trusted enough to let in her broken life attempts to destroy her, inside out. Katherine's consistent struggle to regain her courage and move on from one life-changing instance is clearly expressed. She ultimately chalks up to her own cowardice and poisons her future with feelings of regret and guilt. Katherine cannot be more real than what we have been exposed to for 304 pages. Believable to say the least.All I can really say about Alice is that you would never, ever meet someone so insecure and lifeless (unless your unlucky or are that type of person - like attracts like). She just portrays someone who you want to stay completely away from. Someone who belittles you at every opportunity they can get their hands on. Someone who could be kind and happy one second and the next so menacing and manipulative. After reading about Alice's actions in the latter half of the book, I despised her every breath. I wanted her dead just as much as Katherine did.I loved the scenes where Robbie (another friend) is present. He just brings hope through the pages. He at first is in the relationship with Alice and although he knows himself that it is destructive, he cannot escape from it. The "other" romantic relationship in this book felt really genuine. It wasn't overtly expressed but just enough to shine some good light onto Katherine's world.The event in which changes Katherine's life, can be substituted really with any traumatic or life-changing event. This whole book is really about acceptance and forgiveness, and without them, we really would just be living in a dog-eats-dog world. Beautiful Malice is a grand example of the depths that familial love will run, how far and long one is willing to carry the blame, and what it takes to achieve ultimate forgiveness and peace.This is one book you must read. The cleverly way Beautiful Malice was written allows an extended array of ages to read it as it crosses over that Young Adult - Adult line that we rarely see. It is written in the way that we know Katherine on the night of her sister's death at age 15 in Melbourne, her time being friends with Alice at age 17 in Sydney, and at age 22, after Alice's death. Past, present, future. One writing style that so many authors have a hard time writing in, but in which Rebecca has done an impeccable job at doing.This is one book I will be recommending for years on end.5 stars.