basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Raised by Wolves - Jennifer Lynn Barnes Raised By Wolves was my first werewolf-based novel in YA. Jennifer did a fantastic job at defining, capturing and explaining the essence and mannerisms of a werewolf (the social, the physical, their hierarchy system, etc). She explored it successfully, and that, in my eyes, was just wonderful. On Goodreads, I had read countless reviews on this novel which were heartless and insensitive, as all they did was relate it to Twilight, Shiver and other werewolf stories, which is not right.Each of Jennifer's characters were lovable. They were all vivid and unique making it hard for you to not love every single one of them. Bryn is basically the only good human being, holding her own amongst her werewolf "relatives". She is an exceptional heroine who has a strong goal, takes dramatic action to get it, comes up against powerful resistance, and ultimately achieves a very satisfying, upbeat resolution. Her best friend Devon will randomly burst out into show-tunes and is like the big brother I wish I had. He was my favourite of them all, as he just seemed so much like me (I burst out into song all the time and I don't pay attention to those looking). Lake is Bryn's crazy female werewolf friend in love with guns. Chase is the mysterious and harassed love interest. Callum is that over-protective alpha, representing a father figure which can be liked and hated at the same time. And finally, Lily and Kate are two young werewolves who are so cute and adorable that I wish they were real so I could hug and love them! Their non-stopping Changings in and out of the wolf form was fun to visualise.There was also heart-thumping, glued-to-your-page action scenes which were thrilling. She had a unique voice throughout the book, and a plot which felt original and similar to others at the same time. The ending of the book was something that I did not expect to have happen, which is always a plus. If I have a pretty good hunch of the direction/what will happen for a book, it's less exciting for me. This plot, however, kept me on my toes from the first page all the way to the last. I absolutely loved the way she described interactions between the wolves. As I said earlier, one of my favorite aspects to a great werewolf story is the exploration of the animalistic interactions they have between each other. Raised by Wolves does a wonderful job of doing that.I also find it brilliant the way that Jennifer Lynn Barnes manages to allow Bryn and her teen allies to accomplish amazing things in the climax of the story in spite of the over-protectiveness, and sometimes active hostile opposition, of many of the older werewolves. Raised By Wolves shows the over-protectiveness that many parents these days have other their children. This is the total opposite to what many parental characters are like in Young Adult Fiction today. They callously and selfishly neglect the desires of the protagonists and themselves, allowing no room for change. Callum and other adults are so totally involved with Bryn that they are practically smothering her with over-protectiveness, which Bryn just wants to escape from. This shows her strength, not just in her heart and mind, but physically too.The ending was a great setup for Trial By Fire, the second installment of this series which I cannot wait to read. This book gets and those reviewers on GoodReads can bitch all they want about YA at this moment.