basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Paranormalcy - Kiersten White Evie is sixteen/seventeen and works at the IPCA (International Paranormal Containment Agency). She has been there ever since she was eight as she has an ability to look past glamours. For IPCA, Evie bags-and-tags paranormal creatures whom are either causing havoc in the world, or are on the loose. In the beginning we see Evie capturing this vampire called Vladimir, putting a tracking device on his ankle, and then ordering him to go to the agency to report and to be confined.Evie is such a fun character and resembles your average sixteen/seventeen-year-old in every way. She doesn't know how being normal is like. She doesn't have the experiences of school-life, therefore she has this desire to go to school and be normal as she believes she's missing out on so much. 'Why do you want to go to school?' is what I kept asking the book (...literally). However, in the agency she tries to have as much fun as she can. She doesn't stop talking about the soap opera that she watches, continually relating this show to her own life and real life in general. Also, because she hasn't roller-skated or roller-bladed before, she grabs a chair with wheels and zooms down the hallways eventually clashing into everything. It was such a funny scene which made Evie seem so childish and foolish in a good way. I just loved her for the physical humour she delivered, as well as her intelligence.Throughout the novel, Evie learns about herself, where she came from, more about IPCA and behind the agency. She stumbles upon a shifter called Lend through unusual circumstances. Lend has a water-based element to him and can change his physical appearance to whoever he wants to look like, being an advantage. Evie finds an interest in him and falls in love, knowing that she can't. He is a really sweet guy behind his initial tough facade. He doesn't care if he gets hurt, he just wants to be with Evie.I rated this book ★★★★. It involves paranormal creatures of all sorts: vampires, werewolves, faeries, mermaids, banshees, hags, spirits, nymphs etc. The plot initially wasn't there with me, but it ended up working with everyone fitting in well and things inter-weaved into each other. The faerie Rev I didn't like his character. I couldn't stand him because you'd think faeries are really great and caring and all that like in Kagawa's The Iron Fey, however Rev is just a brat. He wants what he wants and reminded me of a devil in the book. However in the end you learn that he's only being protective, cunning and sly to do what's right.Do read this book. I cannot wait for Supernaturally in 2011. I love the sayings or puns which are the titles for each chapter e.g. 'There's no place like home', 'dead meat in any language', 'have a bleep bleep day'. The using of bleep to substitute swearing got on my nerves because Kiersten White seemed to only want to play it safe and not take any risks. Paranormalcy was a quick read for me, that went at a steady pace.