basciak

Between the Lives
Jessica Shirvington
Eat, Brains, Love
Jeff Hart
Nightshade: Book 1 - Andrea Cremer Nightshade was such an amazing book, that allowed Andrea Cremer to combine all that she knows into such an intricate story. This story included the paranormal: werewolves, witches and demons, but also is solely based on the ideas of totalitarianism and philosophy. It was sooooooooo GOOD!Nightshade introduces us to a new fantasy world that was completely original and engaging. Nightshade isn't really about werewolves; they are Guardians. They can turn into wolves anytime they want. They are sworn to protect the Keepers and must abide by their rules, but are given every comfort in life. There are layers and layers of world building, it just isn't obvious. A lot of things don't really get explained until at least 100 pages into the book. The history is complex and I can't wait to learn more about it in the second book, Wolfsbane. Calla was completely kick ass! Sometimes an author portrays strong characters as unfeeling. Thankfully Cremer managed to make Calla strong and full of emotions at the same time. She felt real. Some of her choices were questionable, but she's a teenager! All the secondary characters, the packs, were fantastic. They were intricate, even though they might not have played a huge role in the story. I can remember each ones different personality days later! These characters each have to make their own personal choices, in order to achieve their desires. The love interests....Wow! I don't know if I have ever been so torn in a love triangle. Ren is the mate chosen for Calla from birth. They are the future of the new pack. Shay stumbles into their world completely ignorant of it, but he has true feelings for Calla. I honestly don't think I have ever read about three hornier teenagers! My god! All they had to do was look at each other! I usually find this very annoying but in case of Nightshade it worked! The chemistry between Calla and the boys was undeniable! It will leave you questioning who she should be with. Though I rooted for Shay, it was hard to not feel empathy towards Ren through all that has been placed on him. If there was no pairing of mates would Ren still choose Calla? I certainly don't think so. Choices were to be made, in order to find love.I RECOMMEND THIS BOOK. OH MY GOD! such a great debut!